Florida Gators commentary in five parts, as in there’s one, two, three, four, five of them.
It all comes to an end on Wednesday. The Florida Gators will announce their 2013 football recruiting class and that will close to door on another hard-fought cycle. Commits came early and often and, as the class currently stands, things are looking up. The Gators are always a player in the world of recruiting and this year is no different. But coming off of a season when expectations were exceeded accelerates the future and has us looking for big things in 2013—on the field and off.
Here are just a few of the stories still being written.
1. Mainland (Daytona Beach, FL) linebacker Quinton Powell was a Gator and then he wasn’t. In the weeks following his decommitment, he again became a possibility for the Gators. Then suddenly James Hearns was out of the picture and many thought Powell was a lock to choose the orange and blue again. That may have been the case as he was down to Florida and Southern Cal. Well, Powell is no more. Over the weekend, he was told by head coach Will Muschamp that the Gators don’t have a spot for him. Powell was disappointed, but also understands the business side of recruiting and college football. Florida has moved on and now Powell will too.
2. West Centennial (Port Saint Lucie, FL) defensive tackle Jaynard Bostwick will announce at 8:00am on National Signing Day. The DT will decide between Alabama, Florida and Miami. Bostwick’s high school coach has said that Bostwick thinks highly of all three and that nothing would surprise him. Considered an early Miami lean, some think the Gators now have the best shot. Bostwick would be a fine addition along the defensive line.
3. Also on the defensive line is Immaculata (Somerville, NJ) defensive end Tashawn Bower. Bower is committed to Auburn, but it’s considered to be a very, VERY soft verbal. He has received a Letter of Intent from the Gators and will announce a decision on Wednesday between Auburn and Florida. Behind the scenes, the Florida coaching staff if very confident they can get Bower to make the switch. Many believe he will end up in a different shade of orange and blue and come to Gainesville in the end. Don’t count out the Tigers just though as Bower never technically decommitted.
4. Might as well stick with the defensive line for one more. East Mississippi CC (Scooba, MS) JUCO defensive tackle Jarran Reed is down to Alabama and Florida. The Gators may hold the advantage and are hoping Reed will join his former teammate Darious Cummings in Gainesville. Reed isn’t a lock, but with the Gators pushing hard, the stars are aligning for Florida.
5. Also announcing on NSD will be New Smyrna Beach (New Smyrna Beach, FL) wide receiver James Clark. Clark is down to Clemson, Florida and Ohio State and will announce his decision at 9:00am. For a while, it seemed the Buckeyes posed the biggest challenge to the Gators, but that may now be the Tigers. Clark would make a great addition to an already impressive wide receiver class.