Yesterday was my first ballot of the 2012 college football season. Today is the full Week 5 BlogPoll.
A few points:
• Oregon State comes in at No. 13 – which is exactly where I had them. But they have a first-place vote. They have played well and won games (those are both good things), but they aren’t the No. 1 team in the nation. Maybe that’s me thinking too deep into what would happen if they played certain other teams, which isn’t necessarily the goal of the BlogPoll, but just look at their instate rivals for a team more worthy.
• Also receiving first-place votes are Alabama and Oregon – we’re all good there; Florida State – can’t really argue that, but the win over USF wasn’t as impressive as expected; Georgia – surprised West Virginia doesn’t get a vote in the We Don’t Need No Defense camp; Kansas State – I’m listening; and Notre Dame – meh.
• Washington was the one team I had that the full poll didn’t. I’m okay with that.
• Ohio was the one team the full poll had that I didn’t. I’m also okay with that.
• While it’s October – and that’s better than September – it’s still early. Those out-of-left-field, first-place votes will look very different in a few weeks.